10.16.2011

Homemade Yogurt


I find it fascinating and somewhat rewarding in making my own yogurt. Although I have to add that I am worried about geting food poisioning from it. Let's just say that I'm not comfortable sharing my homemade yogurt with anyone at the moment.

There are only two ingredient required for homemade yogurt- milk and natural yogurt. Yes, you need yogurt to make yogurt! Making yogurt is not hard, but it is a long process. It takes at least 5-8 hours for the milk to ferment and another few hours for the yogurt to chill and thicken in the fridge. I made my yogurt at night before I go to bed. When I wake up in the morning, I will give the yogurt a quick stir before putting it in the fridge to chill and thicken. By the time I come back from work, the yogurt will be ready.

There is a detail step-by-step tutorial at the Make Your Own Yogurt website which has some good information. However, I didn't follow all the steps from the website. I thought some of the steps are not necessary.

I like my yogurt with strawberry sauce and fresh fruits.

Homemade Yogurt
1 litre full cream milk
2 tablespoon natural yogurt (containing acidophilus bifidus or similar)

1. Pour milk into a saucepan and heat until bubbles appear around the edge (185°F). Do not allow to boil.
2. Heat milk for 15 minutes.
3. Cool milk until lukewarm (110°F). You should be able to hold your finger in it for 10 seconds.
4. Stir in yogurt and pour mixture into empty glass container/jar. Close lid tightly.
7. Wrap container/jar with bath towel and aluminium foil, and place in warm place to keep warm.
8. Wait at least 8 hours, then open container/jar to see if mixture has thicken.
9. Transfer to refrigerator after 8 hours to finish thickening.

Note: If you like thicker and creamer yogurt, you can strain it with muslin cloth over a colander for at least 3 hours. Steps on how to strain yogurt here.

Join the conversation!

the 'gram

© Cakelets & Doilies.